Perseverance

You know it is easy to lose hope today, but honestly, I am overall very proud of humanity.

Do not think that little actions do not make big differences. I see people every day doing their part to help. Educating others in the comment sections below posted propaganda, well cited and researched information via social media posts, comments, videos.

I see groups organizing around collective initiatives, all peacefully; and though people certainly get angry and frustrated with each other, overall there is very little physical violence over it.

We truly are moving towards a golden age. Of course it was going to get a bit sloppy on the way there as we shore up our collective imperfections, but we really are all helping each other be better every day.

So I guess I just wanted to say I see you all, and I am amazed by you. Your perseverance in the face of nigh impossible odds is awe-inspiring, and a testament to your limitless potential.

We are collectively pressing forward and even finding moments of joy when it would be so much easier to give up and collapse.

It reminds me of what seems like a different lifetime. I was sitting in a shuttle van waiting to go home from my court ordered community service at a landfill in Florida.

There I saw one of the employees, the embodiment of the typical American, caked in filth, protruding pot belly sagging over stained, ripped jeans, sweat pouring down his brow as the acrid, stifling stench of literal hot garbage strangled the air.

I could not help but be taken by a sense of both pity and admiration. I looked at the man, then the colossal heap of rotting refuse in which there was a ceaseless supply.

I watched him move the garbage from one pile to another, fascinated by its maddening futility, and could not help but wonder, why did he bother to press on? Why do any of us?

Then I saw the man pause and look at his little pile of garbage with pride, and my vague disgust and pity was suddenly transformed into an overwhelming wave of admiration for the hardiness of humanity.

Humanity is not the most sophisticated of species, and far from elegant, but there is a beauty there, simply one not so obvious as others, but it has an undeniable depth, and even its own dignity.

There is a tenacity, a deep reservoir of will that gives me a glimmer of hope, even if it is a slim one overcast by the looming shadows of all our flaws.

So if you have not given up today, if you have not buckled under the unrelenting tide of madness, congratulate yourself. Though we have a long way to go, we have also come so very far.

submitted by /u/11WordsofWisdom11
[link] [comments]

from Things that motivate you https://ift.tt/2XmlTkP

Post a Comment

0 Comments